“In addition to maintaining a cheerful positive outlook, give of yourself more than you have ever done before. Do this knowing that your returns in life must be in direct proportion to what you give.”
Earl Nightingale – The Strangest Secret
I’ve listened to the recording of The Strangest Secret at least 30 times, probably more. Every time I listen I get something new. Today I heard the above quote as if for the first time. It made me think about how I could give of myself more than I have ever done before. It also caused me to consider some questions, ways in which I might give of myself more.
· Is my living area clean?
· Is my workspace clean?
· Is my car clean?
· Am I putting in enough time towards my Purpose?
· Am I focused at work?
· Am I focused on any task that I’m doing at the time?
· Am I focused on important relationships?
· Am I taking care of myself?
· Am I present when I’m writing?
· Am I present when I’m talking with people?
· Am I doing my best at all times?
· Am I focused on the needs of others?
· Is there anything extra I can do?
· Am I praying for others?
· Is my attitude helpful?
· Are my words and thoughts positive?
· Can I do just a little more?
In The Fred Factor, Mark Sanborn says, “Nobody can prevent you from choosing to be exceptional. At the end of the day, the only question that matters is, What kind of difference did you make?”
That’s what can bring quality to life – making a difference. The good news is I can make a difference every day. Mr. Sanborn says that it doesn’t take money to make a difference. He says, “The trick is to replace money with imagination, to substitute creativity for capital,” and, “The challenge is to outthink rather than outspend the competition.”
So if money’s not required to excel at what I do, what is? Just the following:
With those attributes I can make a difference. I can easily make a difference even if it’s not always easy. All I really need to do is to Get Started and Keep Going…and perhaps give a little more.