I’m going to Get Started and Keep Going on some work I need to do. Before starting, I want to suggest twelve things to myself that will keep me going until I finish. If these ideas help you, too, then feel free to use them; if not, discard them. These are, as I said, for me, because I am not like many people I know. It is hard for me to stay focused. I am easily distracted and disorganized. So it helps me to remember these tips. I claim no originality of thought as I write these ideas. They are principles that have worked for me as I do my work. I hope they help you, too.
1. Say a prayer for success, focus and completion.
2. Have a clean and organized environment. But don’t spend too much time on that. Cleaning can sometimes be a way to avoid the real work.
3. Have all the materials you need available.
4. Have a cup of coffee or whatever you prefer nearby.
5. Break your work into mini tasks if there is more than one thing necessary.
6. Write a list of these tasks. This is indispensable for your mood and your success in completion of your work.
7. If it helps, play music that suits the work and your mood. For me, hip-hop or rock work best when I am doing something that doesn’t require thought. When my work requires reflection I prefer instrumental worship music or “new age.”
8. Take breaks every 45 minutes. This helps me in two ways. First, it’s fun to race the clock and see how much I can accomplish. Second, it keeps me from getting discouraged or tired.
9. Remember why you are doing what you are doing.
10. Remember the people who will benefit. Ultimately good work benefits the entire world.
11. Think about how good you will feel when you are done.
12. Have a reward ready when you are done.
Now I can Get Started and Keep Going.